Must-Have Healthy Snack Ideas For Summer
Summer has finally hit and finding healthy snacks while you’re on the go can be a challenge...not to mention that temptation is everywhere! Ice cream trucks and hot dog stands are popping up left, right and centre - and while they win points for convenience, we know if we give in, we’ll wind up having regrets later.
So, what’s a health-conscious person to do? And how do we go about choosing healthy snack ideas for summer?
What is a healthy snack really?
Let’s first get clear on what a snack really is. It’s not a full meal, it’s just something to tide you over between Meal A and Meal B. You don’t want it to fill you up for the rest of the day, but you do want it to keep those pesky hunger pangs at bay which might creep up while you’re on the go.
But if you’re scratching your head as to what you should be looking for in a healthy snack, ideally it should contain at least 7-10g protein and 5g fibre per serve.
How do I avoid high-calorie snacks?
We all know snacking can be a proverbial minefield. Sometimes those bite-sized, delicious looking ‘health’ bars and balls are packed full of sugar and calories, ultimately leaving us unsatisfied and undoing much of our hard work.
And, as summer starts heating up, we want to look and feel our absolute best.
So we’ve hand-picked our top 5 favourite healthy snack ideas that tick all the boxes and tantalize your taste buds at the same time. Because let’s face it, snacking on two hard-boiled eggs are about as appetizing as Gordon Ramsay’s sweaty armpits!
Our Top 5 Healthy Snack Ideas
1. Choosing the right protein bar can be a dicey decision. Luckily, we’ve got the perfect ONE. ONE Protein Bars are designed with the taste-conscious consumer in mind, so you can enjoy decadent flavours, guilt-free. Packed with 20g of whey protein and only 1g of sugar per bar, you can have your “birthday cake” and eat it too! The only decision you need to make is the flavour and we’ve got a great selection here.
And if you’re dropping into one of our stores, check out ONE Basix, their latest naturally sweetened, certified Gluten Free range. And yes, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough did make the ONE Basix cut.
2. For our Keto kings and queens, this one’s for you. Natera Sport have developed exactly the kind of convenient snack ketogenics are looking for: Key To Life Bars. Plus, they're made with Hemp Protein - vegans rejoice! Containing only natural ingredients, with zero nasties, there’s a unique flavoured bar here for everyone.
And if you’re a die-hard Bulletproof fan, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered too.
Try our Bulletproof Lemon Collagen Bars- a beautifully balanced bar made from ingredients including cashew butter, gut boosting collagen, Bulletproof Brain Octane, lemon oil and natural stevia. With 12g protein, 13g carb, 14g fat per bar, it’s the perfect snack to keep you on the go for a few hours - and tastes exactly like lemon cream pie (minus the dairy, calories and sugar!)
3. If food in ‘bar’ form doesn’t get you jazzed, nab yourself a packet of Solar Raw Kale Chips. These babies are perfection in packet form. Only 60 calories per serve with a measly 8g carbs and 7g of fat, these are a terrific healthy snack idea or a great low cal addition to salads or meals.
4. Don’t like kale, but looking for a healthy snack idea you can enjoy by the handful?
Browse our one stop shop for all things Nooch Pop. It’s the newest popcorn revolution taking the snacking world by storm. Gluten free, dairy free, vegan and made with an organic oil blend and nutritional yeast. Not only is it the perfect snack on the go, but a real crowd-pleasing addition for those summer bbq’s down by the beach. We’re obsessed and we know you will be too.
5. If you’re a true purist and want to consume food just as nature intended (straight from the ground) then dig up some celery sticks and grab a jar of our Fatso’s Peanut Butter.
This one of a kind product is low carb, delicious and packed full of super fats like coconut oil, MCT oil, macadamia oil, chia and flax seeds.
Celery and natural peanut butter are a match made in foodie heaven - but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t enjoy one tablespoon on its own. Classic is still the best, but they just released their new Salted Caramel flavour that’s just begging to be taste tested.
Need something more substantial?
Check out our recommendations for meals, bowls and smoothies that can all be purchased in store or ordered online through our Chow Now app.