Slow Aging with Free Radical Theory.
Aging is a natural progression that occurs both internally and externally in our human life that affects everyone in some way. Wouldn’t it be astonishing if we could magically slow down our aging process? Well there may be a way………….
There are many different theories out there as to what increases our aging process and I strongly believe in a certain one……it is the free radical theory. There are ways to slow aging with the free radical theory if we are willing to make changes to our diet and lifestyle.
Free Radical Theory: Free radicals are a normal part of body functions and are only problematic when not controlled, or balanced by antioxidants and may interact with cell membranes, fat molecules, or tissue linings. When radicals become problematic they start to latch on to other unstable molecules multiplying. Too much unsaturated, poor quality fats can be a potential problem as well as environmental pollutants, smoking, and of course the worst fat; saturated and trans fats.
Guidelines to maintain health and prevent aging:
1. Eat until satisfied….not full
2. Eliminate poor quality fats and focus only on good fats and oil. Sources of good fats and oils include olives, coconut, sunflower, flaxseed, sesame, peanuts, walnuts, avocados, soybean, and fatty fish. Some of the polyunsaturated fats such as fish oils, although less stable than monounsaturated fats, are a great source of essential fatty acids. Essential fatty acids can’t be manufactured by our body but we need them to help lower blood pressure, combat LDL (bad) cholesterol, fight inflammation and protect the brain and nervous system.
3. Focus on complex foods (whole grains, brown rice, millet, oats, quinoa, barley, buckwheat, legumes, root squashes) to contain fibre and sustained energy.
5. Eat a chemical free diet as much as possible.
6. Moderate salt, alcohol, sugar, and caffeine.
7. Avoid nicotine.
8. Drink plenty of water.
9. Periodically detoxify or cleanse to balance and rest body systems.
10. Consume a diet high in antioxidants like leafy greens and fruits.
11. Exercise moderately everyday.