What is a leaky gut syndrome? It sounds almost as terrible as this condition really is, and sadly many of us are susceptible to this without even realizing it. The intestinal lining is a very important part of our digestive system. It acts as a filter by only absorbing what is needed, for example nutrients from the food we eat. A leaky gut is when there is an increased permeability of the lining allowing foreign substances such as bacteria and undigested food particles to pass through into the bloodstream, causing a trigger in the immune system to essentially attack these substances. This in turn creates allergies plus a plethora of other symptoms. Some of these may or may not include constant fatigue, arthritis and joint pain, gastrointestinal complaints such as gas and bloating, breathing problems such as asthma, neurological disturbances such as confusion and anxiety, skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne, Crohn’s disease and much more! You can see the importance of keeping our intestinal lining healthy and intact. The fortunate thing is that our intestinal cells can regenerate within 3 or 4 days given the right environment and building blocks. Let’s first take a look at what may cause your intestinal lining to become more permeable: The number one cause of leaky gut syndrome is usually from Candida overgrowth. Candida is a fungus on a mission, given the right circumstance (i.e. a sugary diet, antibiotic use and lowered immunity) it will proliferate at an extraordinary rate, what’s more is that it has the capability of combining and forming into a larger group that literally digs its “claws” into your intestinal lining to ensure its survival in your body; this obviously causes tears in the intestinal lining which then begins the first stages of a leaky gut syndrome. Scary yes, avoidable, absolutely! Doing a Candida cleanse is probably one of the most difficult yet rewarding experiences some may have, if you feel that you are constantly craving sugar, constantly fatigued, and are always having some sort of digestive issue, a Candida cleanse just might be what can change your health. Other causes of leaky gut syndrome can be from dysbiosis; or an imbalance of your flora caused by poor diet choices, stress, an underactive stomach etc. Regular use of caffeine and alcohol has a tendency of damaging our delicate intestinal lining as well as environmental toxins, prolonged food sensitivities such as gluten intolerance, drugs and stress. So, what now? Ways that you can ensure your intestinal lining is strong and healthy include:
– Number one on the list is removing what is causing the leaky gut i.e. candida, parasites, food intolerances etc.
– A clean diet (keep it simple with toxin free whole foods, listen to your body! Some may require raw fruits and vegetables, while others may require warming soups and small amounts of restorative animal protein, don’t listen to fad diets, only listen to your intelligent, intuitive body)
– L-glutamine (this amino acid is our intestinal cells preferred food, feed them!)
– Healthy digestion (water, fibre, enzymes all required to prevent fermentation causing a perfect environment for candida growth)
– Replenish your gut flora with human strain probiotics, and give them their food too! FOS or fructooligosaccharides are found in dandelion, artichoke or can be purchased in supplement form.
– Reduce the inflammation with DGL and Aloe
– Support the lining with nutrients such as NAC, zinc, vitamin E, vitamin C, B5
– Look at any emotional, spiritual confusion you may have built up and accept, let go and allow yourself to heal because everyone deserves to be happy and healthy!