Today, there are so many beauty products out there, how are we supposed to know what to take to get healthy skin naturally? They all claim to give use wrinkle free, blemish free, acne free and glowing skin. However, they do not get to the root cause as to why our skin is not healthy, which for a majority of us are nutritional deficiencies. The outside skin represents the health of us internally. When we have skin-based disorders those are very often outside manifestations of toxicity, mineral imbalances, oxidative stress, and inflammatory processes that are taking place within the body. The organ to pay most attention to is our liver as this is the main detoxing organ. Many natural food sources rich in anti-oxidants and minerals help to balance this internal stress and promote radiant skin.
Water has to be the most important thing we should consume everyday as it clears out any rancid oils from skin, and cleanses and purifies and toxicity inside our bodies.
The most important foods to eat everyday are raw fruits and vegetables. They provide us with 3 very important nutrients; water, trace minerals and antioxidants.
My top 5 important foods to eat to help naturally improve skin are:
- Avocados: rich in fibre, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and biotin which is known to make a more vibrant and blemish free skin tone and stronger and thicker hair.
- Brazil Nuts: rich in selenium, improves firmness and boosts elasticity of skin. It also helps protect the skin against damage from overexposure to the sun, and the zinc
- content in Brazil nuts helps modulate the healthy production of oil in the skin, which is responsible for giving it that glow and vibrancy that we all desire.
- Eggs: an extensive array of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids, and beneficial saturated fats. Like avocados, pasture-based eggs contain high levels of natural biotin, as well as carotenoids and vitamin D, both of which promote skin health.
- Turmeric: amazing for the skin and body. Loaded with powerful polyphenol a
nti-oxidant phytochemicals called curcuminoids. Curcuminoids have 5-8 times stronger anti-oxidant properties than Vitamin E and other more well known anti-oxidants. Helps to cleanse, purify, & nourish the skin to maintain its elasticity. It helps to support the natural flora that protects the skin from dangerous microbes.
- Cucumbers: rich in water, vitamin C, and silica. Silica is a trace mineral that is critical for strong connective tissue and amazing for skin health. Silica deficiencies lead to reduce skin elasticity, which promotes wrinkles & age spots.
You can also supplement, as there are three critical minerals for healthy skin: silica, zinc, & sulfur. These minerals are found in many plant-based foods. Foods rich in anti-oxidants are very important for the body to balance the oxidative stress it encounters each day and to protect the skin cells from free radical damage. Consuming silica; however, is preferable, as this important nutrient will help strengthen all the connective tissues throughout your body, including your muscles, tendons, hair, ligaments, nails, cartilage, and bones.